What actually is time blocking!!
“Time blocking” is one of the efficient ways to plan your day in an advanced way and dedicating specific hours to a specific task.
-Work, meetings, conversation, emails and attending calls, workouts and family time is hard to balance.
-Before you got time blocking you need to understand what is your works of every day, month and year. Make a schedule and stick to it.
-Say, it’s Monday and you have a presentation that you need to draft by Thursday. You block off either a couple of hours on your calendar each afternoon between now and then or (less recommended) and “all-day marathon on Wednesday”. That’s time blocking.
These are the most important steps in time blocking-
- Identify your biggest priorities
- Make a list of your typical workday tasks. If you have a big task, like 1-hour time block then you can make sub-blocks like 6, 10 minutes time block in one hour
- Make a list of nonwork activities like family time, movies and holidays (big vacations too)
- Block time for the hardest task when you are most productive
- Block rest of the day by small tasks and according to your energy levels
- Handle least priority items at the end of the day
- Take a time block to schedule or to plan time blocking
- Schedule an empty block for flexibility, just in case if you miss a routine block also for unexpected works.
- Use calendar and colour code them according to your priority of works. It is good if you are open about your schedule to your colleagues and family members as they understand your schedule. Be committed for a month and track your productivity to see whether time blocking works.
- Time blocking is just scheduling your to-do list against your calendar. You block off the time you’ll be working on a specific thing ahead of time, and then during that time, you work on the thing.
Benefits of “TIME BLOCKING”
- It makes you the master of your daily schedule also balances the urgent with the important.
- It forces you to prove your priorities with action and promotes deep work.
- Your calendar keeps track of your day for you moreover it trains you to be better at estimating how long things take.
- You already schedule your work hours, your flights, your meetings, important obligations, and events, probably a few other things. If someone wants your time during those blocked-off moments, you either have to reshuffle your priorities or figure out another time.
-Work should not be the only thing you treat this way. If you have things in your life that are important to you than the things already on your calendar, put them there with the same discipline.
-Blocking as a practice operates in four major steps: plan, block, act, and revise
– These simple steps, can make more productive and also great work at the right time!!
Highly Productive People who follow ‘Time Blocking‘
- Elon Musk- founder and CEO of Tesla and SpaceX
- Francesco Cirillo, Entrepreneur follows (Pomodoro technique)
- Bill Gates and many other CEO use this technique, to be more productive and successful.
Time blocking is the best way to utilize our schedule efficiently and it improves productivity and helps to achieve financial independence and can foster your early retirement.
What are your ways to plan your schedule? Did you ever plan your schedule by time blocking?
If you need more tips on financial independence and early retirement or investing in real estate, call Raj now, at 720 5151051 for professional assistance.
Photo by raw pixel on Unsplash